Join the Residential Landlords Association

Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to info@rla.org.uk.
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  6. Any content deemed as advertising, inappropriate or does not meet the RLA's code of conduct will be removed from the forums.
  7. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
Report a post:
Teresa Cooper said: Posted on: 18/05/2016 17:02

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would share my experience recently with a No Win No Fee Tenancy Deposit company.

I was sent a letter from one of these companies telling me I had not protected my tenants deposit correctly. They were claiming a settlement amount of 3,300 or they would take me to court ofr 9,900 plus 'substantial' costs. My tenants first deposit was registered late with the TDS, by my agent, by 15 days although he did receive his PI info etc.

After consulting the RLA Team I was advised that the Localism Act 2012 which came into effect on 6th April 2012 gave landlords 30 days grace to ensure deposits were protected properly i.e by 6th May 2012. This covered me and I pointed this out to the NWNF company.

They then told me I did not understand the regulations and kept quoting the Rodrigues v Superstrike appeals. So, I sent them an email with 10 attachements which proved I was right and clearly they did not understand the Localism Act themselves. I have not heard from them since.

I though I would share this on the forum as their letters were quite threatening and I thought that they must be right as they surely should know the rules, regs and laws if they are sending these claims out to landlords. I could have paid them, unwittingly, had I not investigated their claim more thoroughly.

The other thing that concerned me, if I settled, to send the money straight to them. I don't think so.

I am trying to find out if anything can be done to stop this company issuing these claims when clearly they do not know the law. I wonder if any other landlords have had any problems with the NWNF companies.
Regards.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions