Join the Residential Landlords Association

Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  6. Any content deemed as advertising, inappropriate or does not meet the RLA's code of conduct will be removed from the forums.
  7. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
Report a post:
Stebluenose said: Posted on: 13/10/2016 10:25

We own a property since around 2006 that was originally classified as five self contained flats.
Research by both ourselves and the local council have ascertained that the property is actually a HMO, all of the conversion work was done prior to 1991 and not within the building regulations as far as we can tell.
During the last ten years, we during voids and our tenants have been paying council tax for each individual flat within the property.
I'm wondering whether we now have grounds to try to claim some of that money back and apply for banding as a HMO?

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions