Join the Residential Landlords Association

Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. Please always remain respectful to forum members and the RLA. All posts must be should be professional and courteous.
  6. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  7. Any content deemed as advertising, spam or self-promotion will be removed from the forums.
  8. Any content deemed as offensive is strictly prohibited and must be reported for removal.
  9. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
  10. The RLA have the right to edit, delete or close any thread or post as they see necessary, without prior warning.
Report a post:
jono2000 said: Posted on: 24/01/2017 01:21

Hi - i've spent around £45k on a refurb for a HMO.

And I'm a private landlord, not a co.

I want to apportion approx £30k of that to the capital value of the building (ie stop the revenue taxing me on my purchase price if and when I sell) and put about £15k as running costs, ie the paint and dec, the carpets, appliances, furniture etc that would naturally have to be bought.

The £30k goes on new house structure, new bathrooms, damp proof, new roof etc, structural items that should increase capital value of the property.

I'm used to putting costs down against my income, but how do I tell the revenue I've upgraded the houses using my own cash....

So that (for example) I bought the house for £100k. I increased its capital value to £130k, so if I sell it in 5 years for £160k, the revenue only chargme me cap gains tax on the £30k, less allowances, not the full £60k they may think, if they look at the purchase price.

thanks in advance .... there must be a way of doing this.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions