Join the Residential Landlords Association

Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  6. Any content deemed as advertising, inappropriate or does not meet the RLA's code of conduct will be removed from the forums.
  7. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
Report a post:
Mr Apple said: Posted on: 29/11/2017 11:37

My tenant is overdue on rent and has had their council benefits suspended. I served a Section 21 Form 6A notice over two months ago as a contingency measure in case the situation was not resolved.

Communication with the tenant has now broken down. I wish for them to leave the property, but suspect they will take council 'advice' to remain in the property until I gain a court order.

From the tenants perspective, they are aware of the section 21, they have NOT been given a specific move out date from me, they have NOT said they intend to remain in place until a court order is issued.

What should be my next steps?

A - Write to them and give them a move out date. My wish would be to give a very short notice (say two weeks) given that I suspect they don't intend to honour the notice.

B - Embark on court action to gain possession straight away.

C - something I have not thought of....

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions