Join the Residential Landlords Association

Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. Please always remain respectful to forum members and the RLA. All posts must be should be professional and courteous.
  6. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  7. Any content deemed as advertising, spam or self-promotion will be removed from the forums.
  8. Any content deemed as offensive is strictly prohibited and must be reported for removal.
  9. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
  10. The RLA have the right to edit, delete or close any thread or post as they see necessary, without prior warning.
Report a post:
LeedsInvestor said: Posted on: 17/05/2018 14:02

Hi all,

Looking for some help/advice or if anyone has any experience with obtaining a Certificate of lawful use (CLU) for HMO propertys from the council planning departments, ideally in Leeds?

I am a small investor in Headingley, Leeds which has an article 4 directive restricting the proliferation of C4 HMO's (3 separate households and above) by requiring any landlord to apply for permission to convert the use of any C3 residential dwelling to C4 usage if they want to rent it out as an HMO and it has been a residential house at any point since 2012.

I am trying to sell one of my 6 bed student HMO's (C4) and in order to sell my property I need to get a CLU to prove that the C4 usage has the correct history of continuous use as C4 since before the directive came into force in 2012.

My issue is I only bought the property in 2016, so while when purchasing my solicitor did the standard checks from the seller and confirmed it had always been a C4 student house, in order to get the certificate I am being asked by the council to provide a weight of evidence to prove this from pre my purchase, which due to data protection is understandably hard to come by!

So my specific questions is, has anyone had any experience getting a CLU for c4 usage and got any tips? And does anyone have any suggestions for what evidence I may be able to obtain to prove beyond doubt that it was a student house for the last 7-8 years?

Currently I have done what I can to talk to the previous owner, council tax and electoral roll, but very open to more creative ideas!

Very open to all suggestions and questions and much appreciate the time taken.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions