Join the Residential Landlords Association

Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  6. Any content deemed as advertising, inappropriate or does not meet the RLA's code of conduct will be removed from the forums.
  7. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
Report a post:
Tim Taylor said: Posted on: 12/10/2018 11:32

I am the freeholder of a Victorian house which was converted in the 1980s into 5 flats. The basement flat now reports a damp problem which, after investigation of all other possible causes, is clearly due to penetration through the walls. The treatment recommended by expert damp-proof contractors is to re-tank the basement entirely and dry line with plasterboard.
The lease says the external walls are part of the structure (and so to be maintained by the freeholder) but the plaster is part of the internal flat. The owner of the basement is asking for the building as a whole to meet the cost of repair. Other flat owners say that as it is not the walls themselves which have failed but the internal plaster, this is an internal repair to be done by the flat owner.
Is there any case law on this? Who is right?

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions