Join the Residential Landlords Association

Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to info@rla.org.uk.
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  6. Any content deemed as advertising, inappropriate or does not meet the RLA's code of conduct will be removed from the forums.
  7. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
Report a post:
Gok said: Posted on: 16/01/2019 17:36

Hi All

I rent a house share where there are 4 tenants , 3 of them have never given me issues but one has been a constant pain in terms of asking for ,in my view trivial cosmetic things to be fixed.

So when this tenant moved in the shower was being redone after a leak , this fix held for 4 months before the tradesman involved tried 2 more times over 1 year to cure the issue , all the while the tenant had access to a bath in the same suite.

There was also some flaking paint in a few areas and some carpet on the stair treads that is in need of replacement as its dirty (They all wear shoes)

I have tried my best to address these issues and have now had the shower sorted , and spoken to a painter and carpet fitter to deal with those items.

The tenant has been threatening to make a claim for mis-selling (Looking to get a portion of his rent back if not all rent paid !) and he feels i have not acted on these issues and the few verbal discussions where by i did say i would look at these issues have influenced his decision to continue with his tenancy.

How much of a case does he have and what can he realistically achieve legally ?

I believe i have been a good landlord and never complained about his failings for paying rent late at times or making cosmetic alterations to the property without my permission.

I have now agreed to a 3 month schedule of works subject to tradesman but i really don't like the tone the tenant has taken with me but i also want to appear reasonable

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions