Join the Residential Landlords Association

Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to info@rla.org.uk.
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  6. Any content deemed as advertising, inappropriate or does not meet the RLA's code of conduct will be removed from the forums.
  7. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
Report a post:
Member said: Posted on: 15/01/2010 00:00

I had my property let by Agents for 3 years. They replaced the boiler in February 2009 (the tenants they put in broke it - but that's another matter). The Agents insisted on using their own installers.

I took back the property in October 2009 and am now letting it directly to a lovely family. I have a contract with British Gas to maintain the boiler etc. Upon inspection, they advised that the boiler had not been correctly installed and placed it at risk.

I contacted the Agents to request immediate remedial action. After much much chasing, their installer visited the property and told me that the remedial work had been completed. I called British Gas back in re another problem with the boiler. The remedial work had not been carried out at all. The boiler was disconnected by British Gas as it was deemed immediately dangerous.

I found a Gas Safe Engineer on the RLA website. He was fantastic and has re-installed the boiler correctly. He confirmed British Gas' findings re the dangerous installation.

I am reporting the installer and the Agency to Gas Safe and the Health & Safety Executive as they are operating dangerously (possibly illegally) and many of their tenants may be at risk due to their dangerous practice.

I am requesting a refund of the installation fee and a refund of the Gas Safety Certificate which the same installer issued (it was clearly not valid - he quality assured his own dangerous installation, ticking boxes re flue tests etc).

I would really appreciate your view on this and any advice re getting my installation fee & Gas Safety Certificate refunded. I would also like to be compensated for the considerable time I have had to put into remedying this situation.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Ideal Flatmate
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions