Join the Residential Landlords Association

Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. Please always remain respectful to forum members and the RLA. All posts must be should be professional and courteous.
  6. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  7. Any content deemed as advertising, spam or self-promotion will be removed from the forums.
  8. Any content deemed as offensive is strictly prohibited and must be reported for removal.
  9. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
  10. The RLA have the right to edit, delete or close any thread or post as they see necessary, without prior warning.
Report a post:
ZTA said: Posted on: 07/02/2010 00:00

Good afternoon

I was previously managing a property for a Landlord.
There was an Overpayment and Housing Benefit want to Reclaim this money from me.

This is a recoverable Overpayment as the tenant advised someone at the office who did not advise the accounts department. The money was paid to the landlord who has since disappeared [and I believe he may have gone bankrupt].

I advised the council that we no longer manage this property and gave them the Owners details.
They advised me that "Regulation 101 of the Housing Benefit regulations 2006 allows recovery of an overpayment to be recovered from whom housing benefit has been paid. As you were the recipient of the payments I am unable to revise my decision to hold you responsible to repay the above overpayment"

As I only accepted the monies on behalf of the landlord - and as I can no longer get hold of him - can they still reclaim from me or can I tell them to contact the landlord direct?

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions