Join the Residential Landlords Association

Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to info@rla.org.uk.
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  6. Any content deemed as advertising, inappropriate or does not meet the RLA's code of conduct will be removed from the forums.
  7. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
Report a post:
Mrs M. said: Posted on: 22/08/2019 00:51

I currently have a large 3-bed 3-storey house available to rent.

Itís not registered as an HMO and I donít want it to be an HMO as I really canít be bothered with all the faff. The advert states that it is suitable for a family or a maximum of 2 sharers.

Today, I had just finished a viewing when I received an email from OpenRent advising me that a holding deposit had been placed. I assumed that it was the tenant who had just viewed it and was absolutely amazed to discover that it was from someone who had made an enquiry just 20 minutes earlier then proceeded to pay the holding deposit with no information except his name and a comment that ďI want this house 28th AugustĒ.

I never accept a tenant that I havenít met personally so rejected the deposit. I then replied to the applicant asking my usual (basic) questions and discovered that it was for 5 foreign adults.

I donít believe the house is suitable for 5 adults (even if they are from one household, which I doubt) so will not be offering a viewing but was really surprised that OpenRent just accepted the deposit (and suspended the advert accordingly) from someone with whom Iíd had no contact. (The enquiry showed as unread).

The deposit has now been refunded but I found the whole thing a bit unnerving. Iím only a ďsmall timeĒ landlord (4 properties) and donít need to advertise very often as my tenants tend to stay for years so I havenít come across this before. Is it normal for people to do that?

How do you stop it happening?

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions