Join the Residential Landlords Association

Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  6. Any content deemed as advertising, inappropriate or does not meet the RLA's code of conduct will be removed from the forums.
  7. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
Report a post:
peuta said: Posted on: 03/03/2012 00:00

We have bought a house and one of our children are living in it while at university. We have allowed them to rent the other 2 bedrooms in the house to students/friends, though we are the landlords. the other two students will have a lodgers agreement, as it is 'owner occupied'. They will be asked to pay 2 weeks rent, up front, as a deposit.

In view of the new rules re deposits, as they are lodging in the house rather than renting it as a whole on an AST, do I have to protect their deposits?

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Ideal Flatmate
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions