Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to info@rla.org.uk.
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  6. Any content deemed as advertising, inappropriate or does not meet the RLA's code of conduct will be removed from the forums.
  7. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
Report a post:
Member said: Posted on: 05/06/2012 00:00

I have had my property managed by proxy with a local letting agent for about 3 years. After a number of failed times when they have not satisfied their end of the management arrangement I have decided to terminate our agreement. They are currently serving a 2 month notice period

During this process however I have discovered a number of things. It turns out the tenants , who claim benefits, actually never paid a deposit for the property - the money I received for a deposit apparently was from the agent who is now chasing the tenant for it. They have also - without my authorisation given the tenants their notice when in fact I was willing to see out the duration of their tenancy agreement. It appears they want to keep the tenant and move them into one of their properties.

all in all my dealings with this agent have been shady and I have decided to join the RLA so I can manage the property by the book.

In an ideal world I want to create a new contract with the tenants and go through the proper checks but can imagine they would fail as it looks like the agent did what they could to get the tenant in so they could receive their commission.

I don't particularly have an issue with the tenants as I get my rent on time and would like to keep them but know they won't be able to suddenly come up with the deposit that the agent is trying to re-coup back from them. I'm not going to release the deposit back to the agent until the situation with the tenancy is resolved

any advice hints tips much appreciated. should I be legally recording every conversation I have with this shady agent?

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Ideal Flatmate
Envirovent
John Pye Auctions