Join the Residential Landlords Association

Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. Please always remain respectful to forum members and the RLA. All posts must be should be professional and courteous.
  6. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  7. Any content deemed as advertising, spam or self-promotion will be removed from the forums.
  8. Any content deemed as offensive is strictly prohibited and must be reported for removal.
  9. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
  10. The RLA have the right to edit, delete or close any thread or post as they see necessary, without prior warning.
Report a post:
Member said: Posted on: 29/11/2011 00:00

Our Problem is with the draconian and inconsistent way in which additional HMO licensing is being applied by Denbighshire Council housing enforcement.

We have 2 similar properties which comprises ground floor , 1st and 2nd floor flats each fully self contained.

The HMO registration guidelines state that if we had a building regs 1991 completion cert , the property would be exempt. We have provided this for property 1 and it is now exempt.

Having been converted earlier , Building 2 has a completion cert for building regs 1989 . Continuous improvements have been made between tenancies on an ongoing basis and I believe the property exceeds BR(1991).

We have made enquiries with Denbighshire building regs dept to inspect and certify that this property complies with the requisite (1991) regs to be told that in their eyes , a completion cert has been issued (1989)and the matter is closed .

Enforcement have now written to us stating that to be exempt from HMO registration we need to produce a Building Regs (2010) comp cert within 90 days!! As you will know , 2010 is a whole different beast ( including audio insulation etc), of which the property falls short.

We are responsible landlords and we keep good house but we resent the 35 page application form , the personal crb checks and the £85 per habitable room charge . We also resent the threatening tone of the letter which concludes:

“Please note that failing to have an HMO license, is a criminal offence and is liable on a summary conviction to a maximum fine of £20,000 (Section 73) ………………….other consequences are…………………”

Is there a method by which we can get an independent Building Regs (1991) Certification ?

We do not want to incur the wrath of Denbighshire CC for fear of a witch hunt but we don’t want the un-necessary burden of Big Brother on our backs.

I ask for your comments , without prejudice

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions