Join the Residential Landlords Association

Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to info@rla.org.uk.
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  6. Any content deemed as advertising, inappropriate or does not meet the RLA's code of conduct will be removed from the forums.
  7. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
Report a post:
Andy in Leeds said: Posted on: 05/08/2008 00:00

I wonder if someone could offer me advice to let individual rooms out. It is the first time I have let out rooms myself, so any advice and your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Currently I have a 3 bed house recently redecorated, which I decided to let out each room individually.

I have advertise on Gumtree and SpareRoom, is there any other particular good website that are useful to let out individual rooms?

Someone came round yesterday to view and reserved a room. I have taken a deposit of 300, and I have gotten him to fill in a tenancy application form. Which I have taken details of his current address, DOB, NI number, current employer, current landlord , character reference and a emergency contact. Anything i missed?
I have not got hold of his Passport/Driving license or 3 months bank statements yet, is it okay to get it later from him?

I have just used RLA Tenant credit check and currently awaiting result. How long does it take? Is there any other good referencing site? To obtain employer or landlord reference, should i call them and ask for the protential tenant reference over the phone?

Is it the best way to sign the tenant on a 6 months AST, or other options?

Currently I have advertise the rooms to be excluding bills. What is the best way to manage the bills for the tenants?
Is it normally the landlord pays for the bills first, then charge the tenants who will live at the property?
Also is it best to calculate the know bills first (eg Council Tax, Water, TV License, Broadband)?
And charge the Gas/Electricity later? How much do you estimate Gas & Electricity usually cost each month?

Any other cautions or things I need to becareful about?

Thanks in advance

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Ideal Flatmate
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions