Join the Residential Landlords Association

Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  6. Any content deemed as advertising, inappropriate or does not meet the RLA's code of conduct will be removed from the forums.
  7. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
Report a post:
Member said: Posted on: 06/04/2012 00:00

The flat that I rent out is part of a large block with a central boiler for heating and hot water. The fuel and boiler maintenance costs are therefore part of the service charges. I am liable for service charges and pay them from the tenants rent.

I understand that at the next change of tenant I will need to obtain an EPC but neither the tenant nor myself as landlord can have any direct influence on either the heating installation or building fabric. I had expected this situation to be one of the listed exclusions.

Getting the EPC will be a rather pointless excercise. Are their firms that would provide one relevant for the whole block of 53 flats at some reduced charge?

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions