Join the Residential Landlords Association

Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to info@rla.org.uk.
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  6. Any content deemed as advertising, inappropriate or does not meet the RLA's code of conduct will be removed from the forums.
  7. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
Report a post:
Vicki said: Posted on: 25/08/2011 00:00

Hello

I received a bill this morning for my rented property, therefore I informed the energy supplier that there are tenants in the house. (which I previously did when I provided old meter readings from the previous tenant and provided the new ones for these tenants)

They have updated there system and are sending them the bill, however they also informaed me that the tenants are switching providers soon.

I understand that the tenants are supposed to notify me of this prior and they may have just forgotten.

I am going to contact them to get the details of there new supplier, i.e date they switch from, metere reading from the effective date, name of supplier.

Is it advisable for me then to contact the supplier myself and declare I am the landlord of the property, or would I just wait until they moved out when i provide the meter readings?

Also if scottish power hadn't told me, how would I have known, at what would happen in such a scenario that they hadn't paid any bills.

I understand as a landlord I am not liable in any way for there usage of supplies. Would they just chase it up with the tenants?

many thanks

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions