Join the Residential Landlords Association

Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  6. Any content deemed as advertising, inappropriate or does not meet the RLA's code of conduct will be removed from the forums.
  7. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
Report a post:
Ian (Bolton) said: Posted on: 27/03/2012 00:00

The Tenants did not attend the exit inspection on the final day. They will not provide a forwarding address and the male has even resorted to an aggressive and threatening behaviour in his text message replies.
As you may gather the property was left in a totally unsatisfactory condition and cannot be advertised for re-let until much cleaning is done and items replaced. There is damage to carpets and vinyl floor coverings, they have taken some items and even changed my service meters to card and key pre-payment meters; without my knowledge and authorisation. I ask the following;-
1) Are the Tenants obliged to give a forwarding address
2) Do I need to obtain their signature/s on the exit inspection report before I process it for claims against the deposit, to the DPS?
3) It seems I will incur costs if I want the normal service meters reinstating? Can this cost be claimed against the deposit or do I need to take alternative action?
4) If the deposit does not cover the full cost of the damage of my claim, can I seek recompense through the small claims court for additional amounts? (Assuming I find out where they have moved to?
Thanks for any advice?

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions