Join the Residential Landlords Association

Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. Please always remain respectful to forum members and the RLA. All posts must be should be professional and courteous.
  6. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  7. Any content deemed as advertising, spam or self-promotion will be removed from the forums.
  8. Any content deemed as offensive is strictly prohibited and must be reported for removal.
  9. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
  10. The RLA have the right to edit, delete or close any thread or post as they see necessary, without prior warning.
Report a post:
Mike_491 said: Posted on: 29/09/2014 07:53

I am about to install double glazing windows and doors to a property for the first time. I believe that, years ago, such a move was viewed by HMRC as 'enhancement' rather than 'repair' and therefore, the cost could not be offset against income but could only be offset against any capital gain on a sale. Is this still the case or are there available 'first year writeoffs' for 'energy efficiency'?. Further, what is the tax position if double a property already has double glazing and it were to be replaced after a number of years?. I am not seeking tax advice but simply some background before I pay an accountant to give a definitive answer - if there is one. many thanks for any useful comments

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions