Join the Residential Landlords Association

Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  6. Any content deemed as advertising, inappropriate or does not meet the RLA's code of conduct will be removed from the forums.
  7. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
Report a post:
nigeb said: Posted on: 04/11/2014 09:00

My wife and I have just sold our principal home and are moving temporarily into one of our vacant investment properties.

The property we are moving into is in a large 3 story Victorian building which was converted into 3 large completely self contained flats around 1913. (one on each floor)

The building is freehold which we own with no mortgage. There are no chief rent or other charges on the property. All services, council tax etc are separate and the building could easily be sold off as separate units should we create the required leaseholds at some point in the future.

We currently let the ground and first floors on AST's to long standing tenants. Therefore we have allowed the agreements to become periodic.

We are moving into the top floor flat for an unknown period of time whilst we look for a suitable property to buy as our principal home once again. The top floor flat will become our principal home.

My question has several parts:

Do we need to issue new tenancy agreements and re issue deposit protection notices to reflect the fact that we are now occupying part of the building? (are we now resident Landlords?)

If we do then is there a simple clause we can insert into our existing AST template to achieve this?

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions