Join the Residential Landlords Association

Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. Please always remain respectful to forum members and the RLA. All posts must be should be professional and courteous.
  6. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  7. Any content deemed as advertising, spam or self-promotion will be removed from the forums.
  8. Any content deemed as offensive is strictly prohibited and must be reported for removal.
  9. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
  10. The RLA have the right to edit, delete or close any thread or post as they see necessary, without prior warning.
Report a post:
Mr Bad Example said: Posted on: 28/05/2015 16:31

Good day all! My first post and I am hoping for a bit of advice please?

I have a tenant living in my property under a joint tenancy agreement with her ex-partner. Her partner has recently left her and she wants to remove his name from the tenancy agreement in order for her to claim full housing benefits.
I have no problem doing this for her, by either ending the current AST (which is now in its rolling phase) and giving her a new one, or by removing his name from the existing AST. However, I am not certain how to do either...
I have found the 'deed of assignment' form here on this site, but I read on another site that there needs to be a clause in the AST allowing for the assignment of tenancy for this to be used. I cannot find such a clause in our AST.
As for ending the tenancy agreement early, I cannot find a document that would support this at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions