Join the Residential Landlords Association

Member Forums - Report Post

If you wish for the RLA to contact you regarding this report please remember to provide contact details.

Please Note: - This facility is for reporting of abuse or other breaches of the forum rules. Please do not use this facility to reply to the post as your response will not appear here - to reply please use the quote option.
  1. Please do not post RLA enquiries in these forums. Any enquiries should be sent to
  2. Please note that the initial message in any forum conversation on this website is viewable by the public.
  3. For security reasons, please do not include your membership number within the title or body of your forum post.
  4. You must not include any personal details relating to your tenants, such as their names and addresses, in your postings.
  5. You must not use the forums to advertise your service or business. Please use the RLA's suppliers guide for all advertising purposes.
  6. Any content deemed as advertising, inappropriate or does not meet the RLA's code of conduct will be removed from the forums.
  7. The RLA cannot be held responsible for any posts made in these forums by non-RLA staff
Report a post:
Member said: Posted on: 14/11/2015 13:53

I would like to create a flat within my permanent residence for rental. This will be achieved by converting a current family room which leads onto an existing bedroom on suite, to a self contained unit separated from my kitchen by a 46 dB rated acoustic door. The flat will contain a bedroom with double bed, on suite toilet and shower, and an open plan kitchen diner, with hob, oven, microwave and washing machine and sitting area with a 3 & 2 seat couch. Entrance will be through a shared entrance porch into the flat lounge area. There will also be doors from the bedroom onto the drive. There will not be separate utility meters and the rent will include utilities.
My husband is a consultant at the local hospital and has established that there is a very good market for junior doctors who work at the hospital for either 6 or 12 month contracts.
The options we have is to seek formal planning permission, register with the council and set up a company in my name.
A further option, could as I understand, rent this direct to the junior doctors on a trial basis, as a non assured rental??
I would be grateful of your advice on the 2 options and in fact what other options may be available.
Pending these options I would like to know what regulatory (fire and safety etc)legislation I will need to acquaint myself with, so that this can be included / considered by the builder during alterations. Eg. Fire door specs for the acoustic rated door separating my kitchen - from the flat?
The leather suite we wish to use is in very good condition, but 25 years old and has no attached fire safety labels.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Ideal Flatmate
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions