Can my tennants refuse to pay all or part of rent during essential repairs?

You are here : Member Forums Rent Arrears Can my tennants refuse to pay all or part of rent during essential repairs?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
D
Dev_292
22 Posts
0 Thanks
Just before New Years eve, my tennants reported to me that they had no hot water. Got plumber around 2 days later who found that a new boiler was necessary. At the same time, tennants reported crackling in the wires which, when investigated, needed to be totally re-wired. Due to the holidays the soonest boiler delivery would be 4th Jan. Then after a few days delay due to snow, the work commenced both on heating and the electricity. After the work was complete, we had decoraters in to completely re-decorate the property.

In total, the tennants were without hot water for 4 days over new year, without shower for 2 weeks (but had hot water/bath) and endured 10 days of work being carried out during the week. Work would have been completed sooner but tennants did not want any work carried out at weekends.

They now want compensation of 1 months rent. Having just spent over 8,000 on essential repairs and total redecoration, I need to know where I legally stand if they refuse to pay next months rent. I have made every effort to be as accommodating as possible and have work carried out as quickly and efficiently as possible with as little disturbance as possible.

Any suggestion, gratefully received.
Thank you.

28/01/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions