How much rent arrears can I claim from a tenant?

You are here : Member Forums Rent Arrears How much rent arrears can I claim from a tenant?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
K
KD
19 Posts
1 Thanks
The tenant deducted 60 from their rent in Oct 2010 without explanation. We had an agreement that whenever there were some things that we agreed to let them repair, that we would reimburse them upon prior discussion and production of receipts.

The tenant wrote a notification letter 29th April. We received it 4th May. I assumed I should use 29th April plus one month as the notice period but there was no actual departure date stated in the letter.

The tenant did not pay for the month of May and did not leave. We also received a letter from the council stating thanking us for informing them that the property was empty from the beginning of May. We rang them back and said the property was not empty and that we had
not informed them. They re-activated the account.

On the 17th June I wrote and delivered to their post box a notification letter stating that they must leave by the 17th of August subject to them paying their rent arrears etc. By this time we were nervous they would disappear without letting us know.

The tenant gave us a back-dated cheque for May at the end of June.

No more rent was paid and the tenant put the some of the keys through my post-box on the 3rd August.

Can I claim for
1) 60 from October 2010?
2) month of June?
3) month of July?
4) until 3rd of August or 17th of August or...?

25/02/2012 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband