Council trying to reclaim housing benefit

You are here : Member Forums Rent Arrears Council trying to reclaim housing benefit
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
A
Allie
7 Posts
0 Thanks
My tenant's housing benefit is paid directly to me because he accrued rent arrears in the past. However Salford City Council cancelled his LHA in February stating that he'd moved out - when he hadn't. He did subsequently go in March (without giving notice or returning the keys), but now the council is attempting to reclaim the LHA from me dating back to December. They tell me this is because they've received information that he's been claiming elsewhere from this date.
I have tradesmen and other tenants who are happy to verify to the council that he was still living in the property in March, but the council will not accept this as proof - they will only accept the tenant's word. It seems that he's been making a fraudulent claim on another property, but why must I repay his benefit, when the rent is still lawfully due on the property he's been living in? I've tried appealing to the council, but they are now threatening me with debt collectors!
07/05/2009 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband