Tenancy agreement renewal fee

You are here : Member Forums Access Tenancy agreement renewal fee
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
1 Posts
0 Thanks
A year ago I let a flat through an Estate Agent who charged me the full 10% of the annual rent, which I paid, just for introducing a Tenant. They do not manage the property and they did not even prepare the Tenancy agreement as I prefer doing my own . Their services were limited only, I insist, on the introduction of the Tenant.
Now my Tenants have told me they want to renew the Tenancy and I had a call from the Agency to ask me whether I agreed to renew the agreement for another year. They also said that I could increase the rent etc...
but that in any case I would have to pay them a renewal fee: another 10% or possibly 8% of the yearly rental.
I know this is more or less normal practice for Rental Agencies to charge a renewal fee or at least try to, but surely if their work has been limited to the introduction of the Tenant only I cannot see why I should pay for another year fee (about 1500) just for renewal of a Tenancy agreement when they don't even prepare the paper work themselves.
I told them I was relunctant to pay that fee as I did not think it was justified.
Could you tell me where I stand legally with this issue?
Many thanks
I would like to know

01/02/2011 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband