On hindsight, what would you do different ?

You are here : Member Forums Access On hindsight, what would you do different ?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
mo_523
518 Posts
8 Thanks
I've been a landlord for over 13 years now and have built a good business through that time, which I thoroughly enjoy. But it hasn't come easy and it hasn't come without mistakes.

I thought I would post a different kind of post here and ask about things you should or shouldn't have or wished you had done differently so I'll kick off with a couple of things I cetainly would do differently if I was starting all over again;

1. I would NOT have a single gas central heating system installed in any of my properties ever again. If I was buying now and refurbishing I would install individual electric radiators in each room along with a separate hot water cylinder system - reason ? The vast majority of my call outs are C/H boiler problems, PCB boards, plus the expense of certification every year.

2). Where possible, I would install one master lock/key system in all of my properties; therefore alleviating me of the problem of carrying bunches and bunches of keys around.

3). Home owner guarantors on a large number of tenancies - so that I have a fallback position - it really does work.

4). Issue S21(b) at the outset of tenancy - which I have done for a number of years but didn't in the early years - to my cost.

MO

22/04/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions