RLA tenancy agreement / use of deposit for council tax?

You are here : Member Forums Access RLA tenancy agreement / use of deposit for council tax?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
T
TenantsRus
17 Posts
0 Thanks
I note that the RLA agreement contains the following sub-clause:
"We will keep the deposit until you have produced satisfactory proof that you have paid for the utility bills (electricity, gas, water and phone) for the property. If you fail to provide proof, we may pay any charges you owe and claim these from you."

It is very noticeable that council tax is excluded from the list of necessary bills. Why? It seems particularly odd to me because (a) providing the electricity, gas, water and phone companies have all been properly notified by tenant/landlord at the start/end of the tenancy, the companies cannot chase the landlord for payment anyway, should the tenant default on payment; and because (b) it is my understanding that if a tenant defaults on council tax, even when the account is properly in the tenant's name, the council can legally pursue the landlord for the money due, if they wish.

Therefore, if anything, I'd have expected the clause to refer ONLY to council tax, rather than utilty bills.

12/09/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband