Tenant has left and gone missing

You are here : Member Forums Tax Planning and Financial Tenant has left and gone missing
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
1 Posts
0 Thanks
I have an fully furnished apartment which I decided to let and instructed an agent to deal with the let whilst i was out of the country. The agent telephoned me to say that they had found a tenant who was only 18 and had no background to check BUT his parents were to stand as guarantor(s). I agreed and upon my return from holiday the agent provided me with the agreement. When I looked at the agreement I could not see any mention of a guarantor, but assumed that the agent had some details etc on this. Four months down the line the tenant informed me that he was leaving and did so without paying the months rent owed. Also he left a substantial amount of damage to the apartment and contents. I then contacted his mother (thinking she was the guarantor) and told her that there was rent outstanding and damage to the apartment. She went MENTAL and told me what to do. Subsequently I wrote to the ex-tenant at mum's address, as that was the address given and she accused me of harassment etc! I witheld the deposit (pre April 07) She flatly refused to pay the rent owed and has denied that her son lives with her. She has attempted to cause hassle for me personally and I am still without the rent and dont know how to contact the son, or what to do now. I cant issue proceedings as I dont ACTUALLY know where he is and short of waiting outside her house and actually committing an act of harassment, I dont know what to do. Can anyone help with advice??? Thanks.
22/07/2007 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband