Agent will not refund tenants deposits

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Deposits Agent will not refund tenants deposits
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
Miles Cary
5 Posts
1 Thanks
I recently used a letting agent. She was very slow to pass on rents collected so I have reverted to managing the properties myself. However, she collected deposits from 2 of my tenants and claims to have covered them with Tenancy Deposit Solutions. I asked her to refund the deposits at the expiration of each tenancy (Nov 08 and Jan 09), but she has failed to do so. She trades via a company, Scarlet Property Services Ltd and she has provided the certificate numbers for the deposits - not the certificates.
My question is: am I able to recover the lost deposits via Tenancy Deposit Solutions or will they simply say that she was my agent and I am therefore responsible leaving me to have to find the money that both I and the tenants thought was covered by the insurance? I have tried to speak to the insurers, but they say that this is a matter for each tenant who should contact them directly, and they will not deal with me.
Can you advise me please?
26/02/2009 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions