Holding deposit

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Deposits Holding deposit
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
H
Hugh
128 Posts
0 Thanks
Hi All, some advice please.

I recently advertised my property for rent, and included in the advert a line that said "No admin fee except a charge for credit checks"

Potential tenant came and viewed place, loved it and put 170 holding deposit down. When I emailed her confirmation through later that evening including various forms to fill in and a receipt for the holding deposit I also included in the email a note to say that whist we hadn't discussed the credit check in person at the viewing the fee was 25 per person for the check.

She emailed back to say that her boyfriend was not happy having a credit check and upon that basis they weren't prepared to pay for credit checks and no longer wanted the property.

Where do I stand in terms of the holding deposit? I didn't used the RLA form so there were no conditions attached in writing - all i said at the property was " the deposit was refundable should something on the tenancy application form or references not check out" but not if changed their mind about renting the property.

Whilst I try to run my business on a moral and above board level I was just wondering what the legalities were regarding keeping the holding deposit? IS this there to compensate landlords should tenants change their mind?

Many thanks

Hugh

13/05/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband