Deposit submitted after the 14 days now tenant wants to sue me. Help/Advice

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Deposits Deposit submitted after the 14 days now tenant wants to sue me. Help/Advice
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
8 Posts
1 Thanks
I submitted the deposit to the DPS late but while the tenant was still living there.

In the meantime he turned out to be tenant from hell and basically went AWOL. I had threatening phone calls, he disappeared with rent arrears, hadn't registered for any bills let alone pay for anything, went off with the keys, didn't leave a forwarding address etc. He also re-entered the property illeagally and tried to fabricate a story of damp (untrue) to claim thats why he moved out.

We have gone through the ADR system and it ruled in my favour. I thought that was the end of it but today I received a letter from a solicitor saying they look forward to receiving 1500 3x deposit) for their client.

Given we have gone through the ADR, does he have a leg to stand on? I appreacite I deposited it after the 14 days but its when the client was still living there and under contract.

The tenant was in breach of contract by leaving half way through an AST.

Any advice on what I should do?

08/05/2009 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband