Retrieving deposits from ex-letting agent

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Deposits Retrieving deposits from ex-letting agent
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
C
Carolyn Sims
6 Posts
0 Thanks
I own 15 properties in Hull and am now managing them myself after sacking my letting agent in March. The properties are let to students, and in most cases the letting agent holds around 4 x 150 deposits per property. They have told me they will give them back to the students at the end of their tenancy period, however, they need me to write a letter for each one and to supply bills etc if I wish to have the deposit returned to myself. Given that I have been waiting for four months after five of my tenants moved out in December, I am not happy with this as a solution. The letting agent has proved themselves to be dishonest or inept in so many other ways I certainly do not want them to have any involvement in any future financial dealings...

What is my legal position here? Some of my tenants have been in and asked for the deposits themselves and have been told they can have them at the end of their tenancy. The tenancy agreement is between me and the tenant, although produced by the letting agency. To the best of my knowledge, the deposits have not been registered with any kind of scheme.

Thanks in advance for any help which you can offer.

21/04/2009 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband