Can we make deductions from a tenancy deposit

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Deposits Can we make deductions from a tenancy deposit
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
J
JH Manchester
11 Posts
0 Thanks
I am acting as agent, holding a deposit for a tenancy that terminated more than 6 months ago. Deposit protect by TDS. My landlord wishes us to deduct costs of cleaning totalling the majority of the money held. The tenant has not provided final utility bills or other required information, and can not be contacted to dicuss the deductions. I believe from a discussion at the point the tenancy terminated that the tenants were not inclined to agree to deductions but as we do not receive any response from them it is now too late for us to raise a dispute throught the TDS (according to TDS).
Can I now transfer the funds to the landlord? What do I do with the balance? To what extent am I liable should the tenant reappear? Can I remove this liability by giving written notice of my intentions to pay the landlord to the tenant's address as it appears in the prescibed information?
10/05/2012 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband