Tenancy deposit

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Deposits Tenancy deposit
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
P
Pui
22 Posts
1 Thanks
Dear all,

I have bought a property that came with a tenancy agreement which will last until 27 Jan 2012. The tenant deposit has been protected by TDS by the previous landlord (i,e. the seller of this property), but the deposit money is physically held by the seller.

I am a member of DPS and has been trying to transfer the deposit to DPS from TDS, but with no luck.

My solicitor is telling me that the deposit will stay with the TDS scheme until the end of the tenancy, while what I learnt from a landlord accreditation class is that I need to protect my tenant's deposit under my scheme within 14 days from which I became the landlord.

Can anyone know if I have the right to collect the deposit from the seller immediately or should I wait for the end of the tenancy? I'm so afraid that I'll lose of my right to evict the tenant as this tenant has not been paying me any rent so far.

I'd appreciate any advise and direction.

Thanks a lot!

04/07/2011 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband