rental increase

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management rental increase
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
F
Ferrett
19 Posts
1 Thanks
I sent my tenant a form downloaded from your site proposing a rental increase. I gave 2mths. notice of my intent. I also sent a letter for her to give to the housing benefit people. The tenant did not think she could afford a rent rise (she has ben there 2 yrs now) and so was dependent on the council increasing her housing benefit.

They wrote to her:" They could not accept a rent increase which has only been proposed and not implemented. Your rent was referred on the correct and current amount of your rent. We would not have been able to refer your rent on the increased amount as it is only a proposed rent increase but also because it is not due to increase until 20.06.08 and therefore is 2 months in advance of the Rent Officer decision. A decision is made on the current rent at the time of the decision. A rent officer decision lasts for 52 weeks and therefore your rent will not be referred again until 21.04.08"

WHERE DOES THIS LEAVE ME? I was being reasonable with the time length.

Do I now send them a letter confirming that the rent is actually increasing and get tenant to ask them to reconsider their decision?

14/05/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband