break clauses

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management break clauses
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
21 Posts
1 Thanks
usually i issue 6 month tenancy agreements, and within reason, allow them to decend into periodicals for a while, until either the tenancy needs to come to an end, or i want to put the rent up and the tenant actively wants a new agreement rather than a section 13

i say all this so you get the picture of how i work- provided the tenant is reasonably content and pays the rent and keeps my property in reasonable order, i see no reason to burden him/her/they with paperwork, and i am not an agent so am not charging anyone to write lots of letters.

however, many people do use break clauses, and someone who wants to rent a flat off me next month would like a one year agreement with a six month break clause. i have explained that both parties have plenty of rights when a 6 month tenancy decends into periodic, but, he is adamant.

so what do i need to look out for with a break clause, what does it offer me, what does it offer the tenant?

i know this question may seem like "how long is a piece of string?" but, i really cant see the point. other than if the tenant was causing nuissance, which is a concern- so what am i looking for when i word the break clause? are there any specific things i need to include? or ought i to download or buy an agreement from somewhere?

This member has been thanked by 1 member for this post.
12/05/2011 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions