Tenants decorating/making improvements to the property

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management Tenants decorating/making improvements to the property
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
2 Posts
1 Thanks
My tenants have been in the property for 4 years. On the whole good tenants, pay on time, do not disturb the neighbours etc.

They have just told me that they have repainted some of the property, which was only done 2 years ago. They have had ongoing problems with condensation in the bedrooms as they never open windows. I have installed extra ventilation and treated the walls and repainted twice. They have done a decent job, and I have no problems with that.

They slightly damaged the carpet whilst moving furniture (they say) and want to replace it, at their cost, with laminate flooring. They also want to replace the functional but very outdated kitchen.

I have told them to hold of on these two improvements for the time being.

How does these improvements impact on me and what does this do to the inventory? They pay a quite low rent for the area, which was determined by the fact that the flat is functional but not very modern. When I come to do their annual rent review, are they going to argue that they have made improvements and therefore shouldn't pay?

I would prefer them not to do the kitchen as I was hoping that now as we had built up some funds, I assumed they when they move on at some point, I would modernise the property and rent it out for a higher sum.

What advice can you offer me?

27/09/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband