Licence to charge for a licence to sub-let

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management Licence to charge for a licence to sub-let
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
3 Posts
0 Thanks
I am the leaseholder of a flat which I sublet to tenants. Pier Management (PM) are appointed agents acting for the freeholder Regis Sheltered Housing to collect ground rent and insurance premiums.
For the past two years PM have charged me as a leaseholder 100 + VAT to issue a 'License to Sublet' on the basis that consent to sublet is required from the Freeholder and they should charge for this service in accordance with Section 19(1) of the Landlord & Tenants Act 1927 to cover the administrative costs to issue the said license.
I have been unable to find any 'consent' requirements in the lease for subletting. The nearest I could get to one is the tenants obligation to'use the flat only as a private dwelling occupied by a single household ("the use allowed"), but this does does not appear to be relevant to subletting.
Please advise:
1) Are PM entitled to require the issue of the said licence to let?.
2) Are they entitled to charge for the licence?
3) If they are entitled for (1) and (2) above what is a reasonable charge (100 appears very high).
4) If they are not entitled for (1) and (2) above how should I reasonably challenge they claims.
Kind regards

23/09/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband