How to evict my Housing benefit tenants who are getting the rent but are not paying and are destroyi

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management How to evict my Housing benefit tenants who are getting the rent but are not paying and are destroyi
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
D
Doris
7 Posts
1 Thanks
We signed an agreement with the tenant and his family (with 5 children) on 31/11/2005 starting from 1 Dec 2005 valid for 12 months until 30/11/06 on an Assured shorthold basis. He assured me that he has a Pension credit already and has been living in his brother house, but now that the family has joined him from Denmark, they are looking for a house. He assured me that he is entitled to Housing benefit as a EU citizen. We made a claim for Housing benefit- on 1 Dec 05. We asked in the form for the rent to be paid directly to the landlord.

No answer came for months. I helped him with information, advice and contact numbers on Legal aid, Housing Aid, and many others to help him to get the benefit.

He was paying the rent but always 10-12 days later than the due date- 1st of each month.

He was advised to make a fresh application in Apr –May 06, but without our knowledge he has asked for the rent to be paid directly to him.

His claim was approved in August and he has been getting the rent directly since 17 July 2006.

He has been late with payments for the past 10 months.

He reported problems over the phone about no hot water, leaks in bathroom and toilet, corridor which has affected the lighting in the hallway. He has been very careless and negligent

In the past 2 months we have already put a new central heating system in, and arranged for brand new bathroom and toilets to be installed. It costs us dearly to make the improvements to the things they destroyed, some of them intentionally. Although we feel the tenants are responsible for the damages caused to the property as a result of their careless attitude, we paid for everything ourselves. Some works were done but lots more is to be finished, because the damages caused by the family's negligence is horendous.

Meanwhile The tenant contacted the Environmental Health in Greenwich council to say he needs to be placed in better accommodation because the house is in need of repairs.

We arranged with the tenants to let the builders do the works on Sat and Sun (14 and 15 Oct 06) as the most appropriate time for the tenants. A day after that conversation, an officer from the council visited the property and the officer advised him that the tenants can either accept for the works to be carried out while they are staying in the property or to ask us to pay for alternative accommodation until the works have finished. And despite that the team of builders was at the property on 14 Oct as agreed with the tenants, they refused access to the property. I had to pay cancellation charges for them because they could not do the works.

The tenants are 16 days late with the rent for this month. They refused to pay.

They said to us that the Housing benefit has stopped the payments because they saw the condition of the property.

The Housing benefit people have assured me that payments are up to date and the tenants have received their cheque for the weeks 2/10- 16/10/06.

We are scared that even if we do the repairs now, while they are in the property, they might destroy the new bathroom, toilet and do further damage. The furniture is damaged and the entire house is in a very bad state.

Please advise us on how to avoid further damage, whether we should still do the repairs under these circumstances and how we can terminate our contract and get the tenants out and how to recover the rent that has not been paid?

I would appreciate your response

Thank you for your advice

Yours truly

Mrs Komitova

17/10/2006 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband