rent increases following improvements

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management rent increases following improvements
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
B
bmpsands
15 Posts
0 Thanks
My small block of 4 flats was in a reasonable state when I bought it. I've now replaced the windows with double-glazed units, had the gutterings replaced, new bathrooms are going in this month and individual flats have had new flooring, a new kitchen in one case, new cookers/fridges etc. The property is now occupied by 3 tenants one of whom has been with me for 3 years and the other two are coming to the end of their first year. Flat 4, being refurbished at present following neglect and damage by the previous tenant, will be rented out soon. Rents for the three tenanted flats started when the property was in its original state. I don't want to make huge increases but would like to put up the rents by 3%. This is above the annual rate of inflation but reflects, in my opinion, the benefits that the tenants have gained. Rents will still be broadly in line with the area but will be above what Housing Benefit will pay. I don't want any more DSS tenants after my recent experience. Am I OK to issue a notice to this effect once the bathrooms are finished? Does anyone think I'm likely to be taken to the local rent assessment committee?
02/03/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Remove a Tenant
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions