Death of a tennant

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management Death of a tennant
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
0 Posts
0 Thanks
HI THERE
I need a little advice on how to deal with the death of a good tenant who passd away unexpectadly at the age of 39 in hospital. Her rent is up to date and the regular due date was the 15th of every month.
She had been a tennant since September 2008 on an assured short hold tenancy, she lived alone with no dependants, she had paid a deposit equivelant to one and a half months rent which i protectecd through tenancy deposit solutions. I own and run a newsagents shop a few hundred yards down the street from the property , her step father poped into the shop to tell she had died on boxing day , her mother and step father live just across the road from me and my shop, I get on with them o.k. i am not a close friend , just an aquaintance.
Her step dad has said it is o.k. for me to go up and turn off the water e.t.c . The ladys furniture/possesions are still in the property . This is something i have not had to deal with before can you tell me if there is a specific protocol that needs to be followed or any thing i need to do that may not have occured to me? WHAT DO I DO ABOUT THE DEPOSIT? what is the legal standing on this?
How long should i give the relatives to sort out her furniture/possessions e.t.c . Should i take meter readings and inform all the utilities/ council tax. I know it all sounds a little cold and callous but these things have to be sorted out,any help advice gladly accepted
30/12/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband