Silent Tenant

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management Silent Tenant
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
J
Jan_101
1 Posts
0 Thanks
My tenant has been in residence on a 6 month Assured Shorthold Tenancy, which has become a periodic tenancy, for the last 6 and a half years without a rent increase - my choice. I served your 'Form prescribed for the purposes of Section 13(2) of the Housing Act 1988' advising that the rent would be increased, (she has paid 70 per week since ~Feb 01 - I increased it to 86 per week - less than I could get on open market) together with copies of the guidance notes. No contact from her by phone or letter. No new rental amount was in my bank after the date set for the increase, just the old amount. I rang her mobile - it rang and then went onto ansaphone - and left a message asking her to contact me urgently - no contact made by her. No reply at the door either. Served Section 21 (4)(A) notice which expires 24 November 07. Letter attached by me to this notice saying that it is still possible for her to continue her tenancy at the new rent and to contact me if she wished to do so. Not heard a word. Sent letter informing her that I wished to carry out property inspection (statutory 24 hrs written notice), asked her if she wanted to be present, or if any problem, to contact me or my agent, no contact made by her. Carried out inspection with my agent - she was not there, it appears that no electricity is on, no heat been on for ages, fridge (hers) open and defrosted, no sign of current habitation (snail trails on living room carpet). All her belongings are there, house is in usual state (belongings everywhere!).
If she does not move out before or on 24 November 07 and I cannot contact her, how do I get repossession? Do I still have to go through the courts?
I would still rather have her there, but at the increased rent.
Also, if I get repossession (through the courts?) what happens to her things if I can't get hold of her?
She will be in arrears of rent by the time the date for her to move out comes, can I deduct it from her deposit?
Many thanks in anticipation
06/10/2007 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband