Conundrum

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management Conundrum
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
B
Barney_410
2 Posts
0 Thanks
I have a tenant who has been in residence for about 18 months. She has always been late in paying her rent, sometimes up to 3 weeks late and it has been a constant struggle as she always has a reason why she 'can't scrape the money together'. I have put up with it because I felt that as long as I eventually get the rent every month, it's better than potentially having the property empty.

However, I do feel that if she can't really afford to be there, then perhaps she should find somewhere cheaper.

I sent her a polite, unofficial letter last month, just reminding her of the rent amount and the date it is due each month, and stating that if she wished to continue in this property, please could she adhere to that.

The neighbor of this property told me last week that there are signs that my tenant is not looking after the house at all..... the garden is used as a rubbish tip, apparently they have rats! which were definitely NOT there before the tenant moved in and all the venetian blinds in the windows are broken and bent.

This is far more worrying so, I think it's now time to get this tenant out, but I strongly suspect she will not leave quietly.

I feel that perhaps it might be best to start gently, so as not to incite any ill feeling by being confrontational. I thought about simply giving her two months notice (section 21?)as I need the house back.

Do you think this is a good idea, and if so, when should I do it - the rent is due on 28th each month.

Many thanks

26/06/2007 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions