Missing tenants and unpaid Housing Benefit

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management Missing tenants and unpaid Housing Benefit
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Y
Youssef
4 Posts
0 Thanks
After some 21 months, many of which, towards the end, have been totally unsatisfactory, I noticed that the rent was not paid by Housing Benefit on the latest due date. When I queried this with the council, they said that they had written to my tenants and were waiting for a reply, and that if they did not get one by 27 July no further rent would be paid. There reason for not advising me was that that was the responsibility of the tenants. I have confirmed with them since that they have not heard from the tenants, who I have some reason to believe may have returned to Ireland to avoid a prison sentence for the husband.

My questions are:
1. have I any chance of getting any more rent paid by the council? It is now more than 5 weeks since the last rent was paid, and I have only had any suspicion that it was in doubt since last Tuesday, 24 July.
2. what right do I have to retake possession of the flat? Do I have to go through a legal procedure? I have no way of contacting the tenants. The mobile phone number I have, which they almost invariably neither answered nor returned calls, is no unobtainable.

30/07/2007 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband