leasehold properties and owners rights

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management leasehold properties and owners rights
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
D
denric
116 Posts
1 Thanks
We have a ground floor flat, which is one of say 16 in four two storey blocks that was a lovely residentialandrental area with a private car park and a communal bin area. Most, but not all of the flats have been given ONE parking space on the deeds when they were bought.The trouble is one flat which is let has a tenant that brings onto the parking area a large luton van, sometimes two and a car.The property he rents actually does not have a car parking space allocated to it on the deeds. With spaces being limited and it being a car park not a commercial vehicle park ( we also pay ground rent to a Company every year) what can we do about stopping this guy using it or abusing it .
1. We and other owners have on numerous occasions phoned his landlord and complained and he promises to sort it but never does.He is one of the rogue landlords that to me is only interested in getting the money, never repairs anything or cares about other people.
2. We have all phoned the Company up that we pay the ground rent to ,who say they only work for the people that actually own the land and have been told they can do nothing to help and go see a solicitor...What are we paying ground rent for?
3. A Few people have challenged the guy parking there,(a lot of them are eldererly so werent intimidating or going in with guns blazing) he was aggressive and can forget about him doing anything to solve the problems, he thinks its funny and says he will carry on doing what he wants.
We do not live there, but our tenant has been threatened by him as he on more than one occassion has run over our garden area (open plan)in his van as the area he cuts through is quite narrow and he damaged his wheels on our rockery stones, he then got out of the van and threatened to put a rockery stone through the tenants front door.(this was at 1.00am) He has been reported to the police on numberous occassions, not only by our tenant and us, but by other people living in the flats.The police say he is known to them, when they went round TO see him over the threats to our tenant, in their opinion he was under the influence of drugs but they could do nothing as he was in his own flat and it was personal use.Madness. Everyone is fed up with him , he has lived there now for approx 6 years and things are getting worse and worse.His son has also started knocking down panels on some fences to use as a skate board run
An elderly lady phoned me up to day to say he has now put a couple of plastic benches and chairs in the area where the bins are stored and is going to have a barbeque in front of this ladys flat next to the parking areas, she is distraught, she is fed up of the vans and now the area is starting to look like a meeting place for down and outs. The police cannot do anything, private land, can you please advise what we can do as we have tried everything. I have also suggested to the management firm that in our deeds it says you are not allowed to be a nuisance to neighbours etc etc (the usual lease rules) so how can he be allowed to get away with this and I even suggested that we find a way of buying the leasehold and managing the place ourselves, then we can at least sue the owner of the flat and make him do something. They said they would get back to me, they havent they are totally disinterested. My solicitor said we can actually get the leasehold for free if the company never do anything to maintain or help and their is enough of us. What are your views on doing that please, do we have to have every owner to agree to proceed and what can we do to legally stop this guy using the car park to the extent that he is? (tatty second hand garden furniture as well, its not on)
08/08/2007 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband