Threat to with-hold rent in lieu of repairs

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management Threat to with-hold rent in lieu of repairs
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
37 Posts
0 Thanks
I have a problem tenant who has wriitten to me about repairs.
1. She has stated that the boiler is unsafe and needs replacing. This is not true. to cut a long story short, I am a CORGI engineer and will have no problem proving that this is not the case.
2.She has asked me to repair a downstairs ceiling. there was a leak above it which I fixed (the same day). I had to remove a small section of ceiling to do this and I explained that I would need to let it dry out properly before repairing and decorating it. I deally I would like to leave it another couple of weeks before doing this. it is in a downstairs toilet and is not causing any problem other than not looking very nice.
3. She has asked me to repair a downstairs window which doesnt open properly. I am trying to access the parts for it, once again I dont see that it is causing any real immediate problem.

She claims that she has been advised to get two independent quotes to carry out the work, get rent cheques, which at present are paid direct to me from housing benefits, paid direct to her and then use this money to pay for the repairs.
I only recived this in a letter from her today. I have always carried out any maintenance/repairs straight away. There is no doubt that this is just an attempt to avoid paying rent. she is already in arrears for over 2,000.00. Her tenancy is at an end on 5th April 2008. I just need to know how I should respond to her letter?
Thanks

11/03/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions