Student properties, council tax

You are here : Member Forums Other Student properties, council tax
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
C
charlie1971
4 Posts
0 Thanks
Dear RLA
I am having difficulty with my local council tax authority, telford and wrekin, regarding student exemption letters, as you will know these are issued by the college to attending students to prove they are eligible for the exemption. However despite my tenancy agreement making the students liable for the council tax, the council insist that I am liable and that they will lift the exemption on the property if they don't receive the exemption letters within 21 days, they have told me that recent changes to the legislation allow them to do this as well as charging me fifty pounds if I don't respond within the 21 days.
They have already received a written statement from me stating that only students live in this property as well as the tenancy agreement to prove this, and it is not in my power to force the students to send the letters, although I have asked again, this property has been a student house for 15 years, and before this new legislation they would accept a letter stating the facts with a copy of the agreement.

My question is has this new legislation been challenged at all, can they remove the exemption despite my best efforts to comply and can they override the tenancy agreement, when it states the tenants are liable. and does it as one letter from shrewsbury and atcham council suggests make it a legal requirement to notify the local authority when a tenant leaves or a new tenancy begins. Surely the tenant should take resposibility as the tenant is liable under the tenancy agreement.
Many thanks for any comments
Charlie Evans

02/01/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Remove a Tenant
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions