council tax

You are here : Member Forums Other council tax
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
C
Caroline
2 Posts
0 Thanks
We have 2 properties in East London which in true as a true London landlord are rented out furnished. i have problems though when the properties are vacant as the councils (Newham and Tower hamlets) want effectively full council tax for the period of time the properties are vacant as they are liveable. So when I have no tenants, not only do I have to cover the mortgage costs but also the council tax. If I remove the furniture, it is costly and then would be difficult to rent the property as furnished with no furniture in it.

The council were very sneaky and called our estate agents (how they know who the estate agents were I am not sure!) and asked them if the property was furnished or not. They kindly told the council tax people that the property was furnished.

We also have a property in Kingston and this council, instead of giving me a pathetic 10% discount on the council tax bill when the property is vacant, actually charge only about 10%.

It seems to me to be a gross mis-justice that I have to pay council tax on a property I donít live in just because it is vacant and furnished. Have you ever helped a landlord successfully appeal such a case before?

08/07/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband