Smoke Detectors

You are here : Member Forums Other Smoke Detectors
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
D
Defender
81 Posts
1 Thanks
Dave -

Hi, I'm having quite a lively debate with my EHO. He is claiming I should fit smoke detectors to my properties. Whilst I am not against this, I do have concerns re testing.

My logic is the same as for gas boilers. I install it, its my equipment so every year I do a periodic test (gas certificate) to show its safe but, just like an MOT, its no guarantee that the boiler is safe the following day.

If I fit smoke detectors that are my equipment, I am liable for them and must be able to demonstrate they work. Information contained within the battery alarms recommend weekly testing. Also, when I burn toast, I whip the battery out of my alarm to silence it. If I'm lucky, I reconnect it a week later. Im sure I'm not the only one.

Does the EHO have the legal right to insist on their installaion. The EHO is directing me to LACORS Housing - Fire Safety but this seems to just be guidance rather than statute.

Thank you for your answer

10/03/2009 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions