Repudiation of Burst Pipe Claim by Rentuard

You are here : Member Forums Other Repudiation of Burst Pipe Claim by Rentuard
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Forum Avatar
nijjhar
151 Posts
1 Thanks
Hi,

I have four properties in Bickershaw, near Wigan and I myself live in Reading about 200 miles away.

Due to cold waether, there was a pipe burst in the outside toilet and emergency repairs were carried out by my Builder.

I contacted Rentguard and they sent me all the paper work immediately for making the claim and told me as it was emergency, I did not need two quotes or so.

So, I filled the claim form and sent it to Towergate who handle the claims on their behalf.

Claim form was sent on 05/02/10 and on 10 March, 2010, I got acknowledgement.

The bill for the burst pipe was 250 and it was sent on the letterhead of my Builder. He lives in Wigan and his telephone is an old one which have got additions afterwards.

Today, I got a letter from Towergate that my claim has been repudiated and the reasons given I quote, "For a claim to be considered under the Policy, we have to establish if an insured peril has operated. Unfortunately, I have been unable to verify your tradesman and/ or the cause of damage and full repairs have been fully completed prior to our authorisation. Therefore, in these circumstances liability is repudiated and no settlement will be made on this occasion."

Bill was on the letterhead with telephone number and address and burst pipe is considered not an emergency. What type of insurers are the Rentguards? I have been with them for many years and this was my first claim after a long time. 100 is excess and they need to pay 150 which they have refused to pay.

My tenant nearly called the water board and it would have cost me over 1200.

Further, Rentguard has been recommended by the RLA and they get a good business out of us. It is time for RLA to inform our members how troublesome the Rentgurad people are?

I remember the insurers settling the claims without much fuss and this Rentguard have put me into the whirlpool of correspondence for this small claim, what would happen with a major claim?

Any suggestion from the Forum please and be warned of these insurers.

12/03/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband